Pork Roast Spinach Roll




 


Needing to keep our grocery costs low, I seek out the least expensive cuts of meat.  Pork roasts are great in the crock pot, seasoned for tacos or barbecue pork sandwiches but I wanted something new.     I often cook without a recipe so I'm doing my best to estimate portions and what I used.    Apologies to those who live in the world of exact.  

My food accomplice, Andy was happy to assist.  I had a few frustrating moments, since I hadn't done this before and flattening the meat was a challenge.  Andy, finally used the back of a big knife to tenderize and break up the meat.  I had a hammer wrapped in plastic.  His method was the winner.

 

Ingredients

1 1 1/2 lb. pork roast

1 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach, defrosted

4 cloves, garlic minced

1/3 cup onion, diced

1-2 tsp. kosher salt

1/3-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded

1 Tbsp. Monterey Steak Seasoning Use any seasoning you like.  I wanted to empty the jar.)


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut or butterfly the meat into as flat a shape as you can.  

This isn't necessarily easy and a lot depends on the cut of meat and how much marbling or fat runs through it.  Do the best you can to flatten the meat, so you can spread filling on the meat and then roll it up.

Our flattening was far from perfect but it worked in the end.  Sometimes, it's great not to sweat the details.

Mix the spinach, cheese, garlic, onions and seasonings together in a separate bowl.  Spread over flattened meat.

Use cotton string to tie the finished roll together.

Sear the meat in a hot skillet and brown the sides.

Once seared, place meat in hot oven in oven proof pan or dutch oven.  Bake until done.  (Ours took about 45 minutes.)


Comments

Popular Posts