Doctored Canned Soup


I typically buy generic.  Most generic are manufactured in brand name companies with the other company's label.  Not all generics taste as good as name brands but many do.   The savings add up over time.  We eat well and fairly inexpensively.

I'm not a fan of the taste of store-bought chicken noodle soup.
So I add things to it to make it more like homemade soup.
It's inexpensive and I keep it on hand for a quick lunch when one is needed.  (Note: the dented can.)

After,  I started doctoring canned soup, my children would often ask me to make it and "do my thing to it."

Typically, I add

1-2 tsp. Dried Parsley flakes
1/3 to 1/2 uncooked rice or orzo.
A couple of shakes of tabasco

Today, for lunch, I also added 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tbsp. soy sauce

If you're going to add raw onions or veggies, I recommend you saute them first in the bottom of the sauce pan and then add soup.

If you add uncooked rice or orzo, bring soup to a boil, add rice/orzo and them simmer for the normal cooking time with a lid on saucepan. . . checking occasionally.  Adding cooked rice is faster, just heat thoroughly and stir well to distribute rice.

I've added leftover vegetables . . . within reason. . . huge chunks of broccoli would be weird but if you like it, I won't judge.

Get creative!


Comments

Popular Posts