Chicken Verde Enchiladas

While I intend to make my own enchilada sauce soon, I am fond of the 28 oz. canned enchilada verde sauce that is available in the grocery store.  After I slow cook a chicken or if in a hurry, purchase a whole chicken store-roasted, I take the meat off the bone and save the bones to make chicken broth.

Ingredients:

28 oz. can Verde Enchilada sauce (can also use red sauce if you prefer.)
12 corn tortillas
2/3 of an average roast chicken meat
2 cups grated cheese (your preference.  It's really good with pepper jack)
1 Tbsp taco seasoning
1/2 medium onion, optional
1 small can green chilis (if you like it spicier)
salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix bit size chicken with onions (I usually soften first in a skillet to help sweeten the onion flavor) or any other vegetables you want to add (I add cut red/yellow peppers if I have them or cut up cilantro.  I throw in a bit of cheese. . . maybe a 1/2 cup to a cup, taco seasoning, salt and pepper, (chiles if you want extra spice.)  Blend well.  Set aside.


Pour 1/2 can of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9" x 11" baking dish/pan
Heat the tortillas in the microwave until soft. . .20-30 seconds
or warm the tortillas in a skillet with a bit of oil prior to filling to make them easier to bend without breaking.

Add in the chicken mix to the middle of a warm corn tortilla and roll.
With seam side down, place rolled tortilla in sauce in baking dish.  Dish will typically hold 12. . . four will line up lengthwise above the first row of tortillas.

Cover with remaining enchilada sauce and remaining cheese.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese has melted and begins to turn a golden brown.




Comments

Popular Posts