Simple Applesauce

Look away, seasoned cooks.  I know this recipe is way too simple but it's still good and easy.

I had too many overly ripe apples. . .

Six to Seven medium-sized apples (I added one before cooking.)

I peeled them, cut them into rough chunks and placed them in a saucepan to which I added:

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar (vary this according to taste)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (optional)

I simmer this over a medium/low heat, checking often to see if apples are becoming soft.  Take off heat.   When soft enough to mash with a potato masher, I mash them into a chunky blend.  (I like chunky applesauce. You can put the apples in a blender or food processor if you like them pureed.)


Refrigerate any leftovers. . . this is great while still warm.


Comments

Popular Posts