Healing Asian Garlic/Ginger Soup


Healing Asian Garlic/Ginger Soup


This is one of our favorite quick dinners especially when a bit of healing is a needed.   Soup is different every time because I change and modify it every time.


I've tried to recreate the basic recipe here so that you can make it at home and put your own personal touch into the soup.





Healing Asian Garlic Ginger Soup



2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
3-4 minced cloves of garlic
2-3 Tbsp finely grated or diced ginger root
6 cups chicken broth
2-8 oz cans shiitake mushrooms
1 --3.5 oz can water chestnuts, sliced.
1 -- 3.5 oz can bamboo shoots
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2-1 tsp. red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper to taste 


Heat oil over medium/high heat and quickly saute garlic and ginger in the hot oil for 30 sec.
Add broth and remaining ingredients.
Simmer for 10-20 minutes.
Serve.
Serve over rice for a heartier meal or add rice/noodles to the broth and simmer until done.

The soup in the photograph had mini-wantons added.  I have also added tofu or left over meat.

I have increased the heat by adding several drops of chili oil.

I've used different vegetables (onion, thinly sliced carrots, leeks, spinach) and/or omitted the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots depending on what I have on hand.

Recommend tasting as you go along so you can adjust flavors to your needs.

Tip:  If I don't have broth on hand or no homemade in the freezer,  I often use a chicken broth paste or commercial powder mix to create the broth since it's easy and cost effective.  I love the small jars of broth paste because it blends well with water, keeps in the refrigerator and I can control the sodium by controlling the amount of paste I use. 

Comments

Popular Posts