Healthy Homemade Hummus

Recently, I happened upon the work of a Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.  Needing to lower blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels, I've been gradually switching to a plant based diet.

I'll be posting the recipes I'm trying in the days ahead.  Since it is said to take 28 days to create new habits.  On Sunday, February 27th, I'm going to begin a 28 day vegan diet.

Today, I'm in the kitchen, experimenting with recipes.  I just made a batch of Healthy Hummus and like how it tastes.  No additional salt or tahini was needed.

Healthy Homemade Hummus

1 can (15.5 oz.) chickpeas (Garbanzos),rinsed and drained
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2-3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp. water or vegetable broth
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped

Blend all the ingredients in the bowl of a small food processor. Add more water/broth or lemon juice to taste and until you achieve the desired consistency.  Refrigerate for several hours before using to allow flavors to mingle well.

Variations:  Add one or more of the following or use the recipe above and omit the Jalapenos.

2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
1 roasted, seeded and chopped red bell pepper
1 cup dark or Kalmata olives
1 cup fresh spinach.

Use as a dip or sandwich or wrap spread.

I'm going to post a film clip of Dr. Esselstyn speaking

Comments

Popular Posts