Fat Free Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies

I've heard that a lot of people turn up their noses at oatmeal cookies.  Fortunately, that's not the case at our house.  I found this in a diet cookbook and once again had to make a few changes which I'll note below.
For a fat-free (or in my case very low-fat) cookie these were good.  Next time I'll double the batch

Fat-Free Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies

3 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I had only all-purpose so I used that instead.)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
(I used homemade,unsweetened applesauce and the dough was too dry.  I added one large beaten egg to help hold it all together.  The egg adds a little fat but the cookies are still healthier than the average cookie.)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup dried cranberries or cherries (I used chocolate chips.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Add applesauce, sugar and vanilla.  Stir until well blended.
Stir in cranberries or cherries.
With wet hands, roll the dough into 1" balls and place on non-stick baking sheet or baking sheet covered with parchment paper.  If the dough it too sticky place in frezzer for a few minutes. 
Use bottom of glass dipped in sugar to flatten the cookies (by adding one egg, I didn't need to do this but I did chill the dough in the freezer to make it easier to handle and form the cookies with a cookie scoop.)
Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Without egg these cookies have 0 fat.  1 cookie is equal to approximately 51 calories

Comments

Popular Posts