Baked Spaghetti

Craving comfort food yesterday evening, I tried this recipe.  It makes a large batch so there was plenty for today's lunch.  It was tasty enough to earn a place in my permanent cookbook.  I made some modifications to the original.  I've included them in the familiar parentheses.

Baked Spaghetti

1 -- pkg. 16 oz. spaghetti   (I used a wide egg noodle.  It was available and a little less messy.)
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jar (26 oz.) meatless spaghetti sauce (I used a can of sauce.  It's cheaper and tastes fine to us.)
1/2 tsp. season salt (I used 1/4 to cut the salt content.)
2 eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
5 Tbsp. butter melted.  (I used 2 Tbsp. of butter and mixed it in with the hot drained noodles to melt it.)
2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
4 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese (I used closer to 2 1/2 cups.)

Preheat over to 375 degrees.
Spray a 13" x 9" baking dish with non-stick spray.
Cook spaghetti/noodles according to package directions.
Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is done; drain if necessary.
Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasoned salt; set aside. (Original recipe adds 5 Tbsp. melted butter here.)
In a large bowl, whisk eggs and Parmesan cheese.
Drain spaghetti; toss with butter to melt.
Add egg mixture to spaghetti; toss well.
Place half of the spaghetti mixture in the pre-greased baking dish.
Top with half of the cottage cheese, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Repeat layers.
Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Uncover and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes longer or until cheese in melted.

Yields 8 to 10 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts