Skillet Chicken and Noodles

This skillet recipe was last night's hit.  I used leftover smoked turkey instead of chicken and prepared for my family to be less than thrilled.  Surprisingly, even my finicky son liked it.  I found the recipe on the label of a can of generic chicken broth.

Skillet Chicken and Noodles

2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup celery diced
3 cups fat-free chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 cups cooked chicken
2 cups cooked wide noodles (I used rotini and didn't cook these before hand but let it simmer in the sauce until done.)
1 cup frozen peas and carrots, partially thawed.  (I just used peas and didn't partially thaw it since I was already simmering the noodles.)

In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the margarine.
Add onion and celery and cook 3 minutes or until onion  is transulcent.
Add broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, place flour in a small bowl; gradually stir in milk, mixing throughly.
Stir in egg, mix well and set aside.


When broth boils, add cooked chicken and noodles, return to a boil.
Gradually stir in flour mixture to thicken and bring to a boil.
Add partially thawed peas and carrots and stir gently.
Heat thoroughly and serve.


Next time, I'd probably brown the flour and make a roux and then add in the liquid ingredients.  I'd also cut back on the broth slightly to make the sauce a little thicker.  All in all still a hit and a great way to use left over turkey or chicken.  My family called it homemade turkey helper.

Comments

Popular Posts