Carrot-Ginger Soup

Now that we've fallen into some sort of routine with the start of a new school year, etc., I'm back in the kitchen experimenting with new recipes.  This recipe for carrot soup is one I really enjoyed.  This enjoyment was not shared by my significant other who is not as fond of carrots as am I.

Carrot-Ginger Soup

1 tsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup leeks (about 1/2 leek cut into 1/4" slices.)  I substituted onion
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 qt. vegetable stock
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 1/2 cups carrots (3-4 large) diced in large rings
1 cup celery, diced (I used a little less so the flavor would over power the carrots.)
1 Tbsp. orange juice

In a large saucepan, saute the ginger and leeks in the olive oil until tender.
Add the stock, soy sauce, salt and pepper. 
Bring to a boil and add carrots and celery.
When it boils again,, turn down to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Remove from heat and puree in a blender.

NOTE:  If you place hot soup directly in the blender, the heat will force the lid off and you'll have a heck of a mess and be burned.  Fortunately, my burns were only minor and my experience a good lesson.   Let the soup cool enough so that the heat doesn't force the lid off the blender .  You can always put the soup, once pureed, back in the saucepan and heat it again.

Add orange juice and check seasoning before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts