Spanish Rice

This original recipe was a little bland for our tastes.  I will make it again but with some modifications.  I'll enter the original recipe here and add my usual notes.  Children are more apt to eat this as it was written.  Their taste buds have yet to be dulled.


Spanish Rice

2 Tbsp. butter
1 cup rice
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1--8 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt.

Melt butter in a saucepan.  I'll fry up a strip or two of bacon next time and brown the rice, etc. in the bacon grease. I'll cut the bacon into small pieces and add it to the simmering rice.
Brown the rice in the butter.
Add the onion while rice is browning.
Add the garlic about a minute before you add the remaining ingredients.  (Garlic can burn quickly.)
Add tomato sauce, water and salt; bring to a boil.
Cover.  Turn heat down to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes or until rice is done and liquid is absorbed.
You'll want to stir the rice occasionally to prevent it from sticking.

 I'm going to try this with brown rice.  This will extend the cooking time but will bump up the fiber and the health benefits so it's worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts