Panda Express Orange-Flavored Chicken

I made this last night and used tofu instead of chicken.  It is sweet and when I make it again, I want to cut the sugar and maybe substitute honey instead.  If I do use chicken next time, I won't deep fry but cook in a  skillet with a small amount of olive oil to cut some of the fat content.  In doing so, it's not going to look or taste like the Orange Chicken so many people love but it still might suit you.

Panda Express Orange-Flavored Chicken

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 egg white
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar

Orange Sauce

1 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. apple cider  (I used fresh squeezed orange juice instead)
1 Tbsp. soy sauce (I used 2 Tbsp.)
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. veg oil
1 Tbsp. grated orange zest (I used the zest from an entire orange.)
2 Tbsp. chopped green onion

4 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
1 cup cornstarch

Cut chicken breasts into 1/2" cubes, set aside.
Combine egg white, salt and sugar in bowl.  Stir vigorously until mixed.
Add chicken; stir to coat.
Coat chicken with 1 cup cornstarch by putting cornstarch in plastic bag and shaking the chicken pieces inside the bag to coat. Deep fry or saute until chicken is done. Set aside and keep warm.

To make sauce:  Combine water, ketchup, sugar, apple cider (or OJ), soy sauce, sesame oil and 1Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. cornstarch. Stir well and set aside.
 
Heat skillet or wok over high heat; Add a small amount of oil.
Add orange zest and green onions, stirring constantly for 20 seconds.  Don't burn orange zest.
Pour remaining sauce ingredients into skillet.  Heat over medium heat for 12-15 minutes; stirring frequently. (It did not take this long to achieve a desired consistency for me.)

Serve chicken on a bed of rice or noodles with sauce poured over it.

I used tofu instead of chicken and added the tofu back to the sauce.  I also added broccoli and fresh bean sprouts.  I added the broccoli to the sauce so it could steam and absorb some of the flavors.  I stirred in the fresh bean sprouts when the dish was done.

Comments

Popular Posts