Aunt Anna's Rolls

My aunt, Anna has been making these rolls for a very long time.   This is an easier recipe than some because of letting them stand overnight.  I am inserting a link to a food safety site that addresses how long to let yeast dough stand at room temperature.  Food Safety Article..  This is what a doctor of food and nutrition says.  I will also add that my husband thinks I'm a germaphobe and I have left bread dough rise overnight and have had no ill effects.  This does not guarantee that they couldn't happen. Since, I also use butter in this recipe, I refrigerate this dough overnight.  When in doubt about food safety, go with the professionals.  Erring on the side of caution is an especially good thing when working in the kitchen.  That said, I occasionally use methods that some may question that were passed down for years without ill effects.  I stand on the shoulders of great cooks who have so much to teach me.

Anna's Crescent Rolls

1 cup milk, scalded and cooled
1 pkg dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.) dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water (Not too hot or cold.)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda
2 well-beaten eggs
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
6 cups flour
1 Tbsp. vital gluten (Optional) This was my addition.  Vital gluten helps improved the quality of the dough hence, the bread. Here's a link to the science info:  http://www.foodreference.com/html/bread-gluten-729.html

Avoid vital gluten and anything with gluten flours in it if you are gluten intolerant.

Scald and cool the milk to room temperature or about the same temperature as the warm water.
Dissolve the yeast in warm water.
Add cooled milk to yeast and then add sugar, salt and soda. Mix well.
Add 2 well-beaten eggs
1/2 cup melted butter (cooled slightly)
6 cups flour
1 Tbsp. vital gluten

(On the original recipe my aunt used 1/2 cup cooking oil instead of  butter.  I liked butter's taste in a roll so I switched to butter for my oil but found that I had to add more flour.  Anna's recipe says 4 cups.   I added 6 cups. The amount of flour in breads or rolls may vary.  It's most important that you get a "workable" dough.  Not too sticky and not too heavy.  This recipe tends to have a slightly sticky dough.  Experiment.  It can be fun.)

Let stand at room temperature overnight or up to 3 hours room temperature before refrigerating.  If you refrigerate, let the dough warm to room temperature in the morning before dividing and rolling.

To roll the dough, divide the dough in half. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness in a circular, pie-crust shape. Cut into 12 wedges.  Roll into a crescent by starting with the large end and roll toward the small.
Place on well greased cookie sheet and let rise 3-4 hours uncovered.

(Again, I cover my rolls with a cloth kitchen towel and raise until doubled.  This did not take 3 to 4 hours.  There may be an advantage to letting them raise uncovered and for a longer time but I think they still tasted great.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 20 minutes until tops are golden brown.  You may brush finished rolls with butter just after taking them from the oven.

Comments

Popular Posts