Basil Pesto

After a brief absence, I'm back to posting recipes and experimenting in the kitchen.  Yeah!

My daughter begs me to make this.  During the spring, I plant some basil in a pot and set it inside on the window sill.  By summer, I've got basil to use in cooking.    Pots filled with thyme and oregano are also sitting on that window sill.  Tonight I'm making pesto for fettucini.  I'm serving it with fresh green beans, steamed with salt, garlic, red pepper flakes, a drop or two or sesame oil and about 1/3 cup of water.  I'm also serving a very simple cantalope, grapes and blueberries fruit salad.   I wonder if my resident carnivore will even miss the meat.


Basil Pesto

2 cups loosely packed cups fresh basil leaves, stems discarded.  (Rinse and dry basil gently.)
Salt to taste. . .  I use about 1/2 tsp sea salt
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan or other hard cheese.

Using a food processor, combine basil, salt, garlic, Parmesan and about 1/2 of the oil in the bowl.  (You can also use a blender.)
Process, pausing occasionally to scrape down sides of the container.
Slowly drizzle in the remaining olive oil.  (Add additional oil if you want a thinner pesto.)
This will keep in the frig about 1 week.  If you're not using it right away, don't mix the Parmesan cheese in it until just before serving.  (You can also add the Parmesan after processing in the food processor if you prefer.)

Comments

Popular Posts