Baked Falafel Burgers

My cousin, Gwen sent me this recipe.  It comes from Oregon Live http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2010/06/not_your_garden-variety_burger.html

I made a batch this afternoon and was really pleased with the result.  My daughter liked the taste but wasn't as fond of the texture.  I think these would be great served in a pita pocket with cucumber sauce or mayo and lettuce.

Baked Falafel Burgers

1 cup dried garbanzo beans, rinsed well
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp. cumin  (original recipe used 1 Tbsp. roasted cumin seeds.  I substituted one tsp. ground cumin.)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. all-purpose or garbanzo bean flour, if needed

In a large mixing bowl, cover the garbanzo beans with 4 to 5 inches of water. Let sit for 24 hours.  Rinse and drain well.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a food processor, combine the garbanzo beans, onion, garlic, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, cumin, baking soda, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
Pulse process until coarsely chopped.  If the mixture isn't coming together well, add a bit of water -- but no more than 2 Tbsp. (If there is too much liquid the patties will fall apart when they're cooked.  NOTE:  I followed this caution even though the patties look and felt too dry.  Much to my surprise, they did stay together after baking.  They are a bit delicate and you have to handle a little carefully but they really did form a patty.)

Adjust seasonings to taste.  These have zip so if you don't like things spicy, consider cutting the cayenne to 1/4 or 1/8 tsp.

Place the patties on a well-oiled baking sheet.  (This is important.  I lined a cookie sheet with foil and greased it well with olive oil and they still wanted to stick to the pan.)
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through the baking time, until golden and firm.


I think these taste like just like falafel.  I am eager to make a cucumber sauce or spread to go with them.

Comments

Popular Posts