Scalloped Potatoes

My first cookbook arrived in the mail when I was 8.  It was a Betty Crocker Boy's and Girl's Cookbook and I think it cost less than $2.00.  I was always eager to help in the kitchen and once I learned how to follow and execute a recipe, I was hooked.  I still have that cookbook.  I also have an adult Betty Crocker cookbook that I also use often.  Today, I'm sharing a recipe for Scalloped Potatoes.  It's a simple classic and one I still love.  I only make one change to this original.  I add a few red pepper flakes to kick the flavor up a notch.

Scalloped Potatoes

2 lbs. potatoes, about 6 medium
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper  (you may want to add more salt and pepper when served.)
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
2 1/2 cups milk
1 medium onion, diced
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Peel potatoes and cut into thin slices; cut enough to measure about 4 cups.  (I keep the potatoes from browning by keeping them in cold water until I layer them in the baking pan.)
Heat 3 Tbsp. margarine in sauce pan over low heat until melted.
Stir in flour, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, if using.
Cook over low heat stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Boil and stir one minute.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Arrange potatoes in greased (I use butter or margarine to grease.) 2 quart casserole.  (I usually use a 9" x 13" baking pan.) 
Arrange 3 layers, topping each of the first 2 layers with diced onion and 1/3 of the sauce.
Top remaining layer with sauce.  Dot with 1 tbsp. margarine.  (I often sprinkle paprika over the top.)

Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender, another 50 to 60 minutes longer.
Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts