Tandori Chicken

This recipe comes from Prevention Magazine.  It's in the frig right now.  I've made a few changes which I will note.

Tandori Chicken
2 1/2 mixed bone-in chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks or breasts), skin removed
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used 1 cup homemade yogurt)
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used bottled lemon juice.)
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt  (next time I'll only use 1/2 tsp.  That should be enough.)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

2 Tbsp. canola oil.

Combine yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper in bowl.
Stir until combined.  Add chicken and coat well.  (Recipe cut several slashes in each piece of chicken.  I used frozen chicken breasts.  Since they are already pretty flat. I didn't cut the slashes.)
Marinate chicken 30 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate, covered up to 24 hours.
Heat broiler or grill.
With tongs pick up one piece of chicken at a time and let any excess marinade drip back into bowl.
Brush chicken pieces with 1 Tbsp. of the oil.
Discard marinade.
Broil chicken about 6 inches from the heat source until brown, about 8 minutes.
Turn pieces over and brush with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil
Broil chicken until done about 6 minutes longer for breasts and 8 minutes longer for thighs and drumsticks.

You can also grill chicken over medium high heat about 10 minutes.  Turn baste with oil and cook 10 minutes longer or 12 for dark meat.

I'm going to try and lightly coat the grill with oil so I can avoid putting the oil directly on the meat.  I'll serve it over rice and vegetables.



Comments

Popular Posts