Somen Sauce

My mother-in-law is Okinawan and an excellent cook.  Kazuko can do things with tofu and seafood that I can only dream about doing.  During the warmer weather, we sometimes enjoy "cold noodles".  It's a simple thin noodle, or somen, that is dipped in a sauce that has several ice cubes floating it it.  Messy, cool and refreshing,  summer somen noodles is a hit with husband and kids.  Kazuko gave me the recipe for homemade somen sauce and I'm sharing it here.  I've cut the oil down slightly.  You may wish to add more.

Somen Sauce

1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar (don't use regular white vinegar.)
1/2 cup sugar  (you can cut this in half or use sugar substitutes.)
1/2 cup soy sauce

Mix well.  Serve in small flat bowls.
Add ice cubes to chill the sauce.
Dip noodles in sauce before eating.  (We love using chop sticks for this step.)

Comments

Popular Posts