No Recipe Chicken Enchiladas

I've had a large can of green enchilada sauce in my pantry and I've been hungry for enchiladas so yesterday, I decided to jump in and throw some together without a recipe.  We were all pleasantly surprised by the results.  The recipe I've written below will include measurements that are approximations.  Before wrapping the meat in the tortillas, taste it.  You'll soon know if you need more salt or chili powder, or....?

No Recipe Chicken Enchiladas

2-3 lb. whole chicken, roasted and the meat taken from the bone.
1 medium onion, diced.
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 to 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
2-3 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 fresh cilantro, cut into small pieces
10-14 corn tortillas
Home made enchilada sauce or 1 large can.

Roast the chicken.  When cool enough to handle cut meat from the bone. (I cooked the chicken in the slow cooker.  I seasoned the outside, stuffed onions and garlic in the cavity and set the chicken on several celery stalks.  I pour about 1 cup water in the bottom of the slow cooker to help steam the chicken.  I cook it on high for about 4 hours.  Can also cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.  When I took the meat off the bone, I refrigerated it overnight so it was ready the next day.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Spray a 9" x 13" baking pan with non-stick spray.
Pour a thin layer of green sauce on the bottom of the pan; set aside.
In large skillet heat a small amount of olive oil over medium heat.  Add onions and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.  Add minced garlic and heat for another minute.
Toss in the chicken and enough of the enchilada sauce to make the filling sticky but not soggy. 
Add 1 cup of shredded cheese.  (Save 1 cup for later.)
Add 1/2 to 1 cup of cottage cheese.
Add chili powder and salt and pepper
Add fresh cut cilantro and blend well.

Heat the corn tortillas, in a small amount of olive oil in a skillet that has been preheated over medium high heat. When the tortillas is warm and pliable, take from heat and drain on paper towel.  When cool enough to touch, place filling in middle of tortilla. (I use about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of filling.)  wrap and lay in prepared baking pan, seam side down.
When baking pan is full, pour some more of the enchilada sauce on top.  (I had some filling left over and instead of tossing it.  I spread it over the top of the wrapped tortillas before adding the sauce.)
I topped the enchiladas with the remaining 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes just until it starts to brown around the outside.
Serve with sour cream, guacamole and salsa.

Comments

Popular Posts