Black Bean Brownies

Here's another recipe from friend, Kathy Murphy.  Thanks, Kathy.  I made these yesterday and was intrigued and pleased with the result.  Next time, I think I'll cut the cocoa powder down to 1/3 cup and add some butterscotch or peanut butter chips.  I had fun making these and feeding them to my large-black-bean hater who liked them in brownie form.


Black Bean Brownies

1 can black beans (regular size 14 to 16 oz. approx.)
3 eggs
3 Tbsp. oil
3/4 cup Splenda or granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract (optional)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt.

Preheat oven to 350.
Grease an 8" x 8" baking pan with non-stick spray.
Drain the liquid from the black beans.
Place beans in bowl of food processor and process until smooth
Add remaining ingredients to bowl and beans.  Combine.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes.

Note:  I didn't drain the beans very well before I processed them and my batter was too runny.  I added 1/2 to 3/4 cup all-purpose flour before I baked them. They turned out fine but next time I'll try to really drain the beans first.  If you don't have to add the flour, this recipe is gluten free.

Comments

Popular Posts