Creamy Parmesan Broiled Tilapia

I bought a bag of frozen Tilapia recently hoping to find a way to make them edible. I'm not very fond of fish and anything less than fresh is questionable. I found this recipe on Sparkpeople.com and tried it last Friday. We were pleased with the results. I revised the recipe and this time I'm going to post the recipe as it was written and then explain my changes at the end.

Creamy Parmesan Broiled Tilapia

4 Tilapia Fillets (If frozen, be sure to thaw fully before cooking.)

2 Tbsp. light mayonnaise
4 Tbsp. Shredded Parmesan cheese
2 to 4 sprigs fresh dill (I used 1 tsp. dried dill weed)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
ground black pepper to taste

Non-stick cooking spray

Stir mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese together in small bowl.
Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and non-stick cooking spray.
Set oven to Broil on High (if you have that option)
Place tilapia on foil about 2 inches apart
Dividing cheese mixture evenly among the fillets spoon on to each fillet and spread evenly with back of spoon.
Sprinkle dill, garlic powder and black pepper over each fillet.
Place cookie sheet about 6 inches below broiler.
Watch fish carefully. It should take between 5 and 6 minutes to cook completely depending on fillet's thickness. Cheese should start to brown and fish will flake easily when fully cooked.
Turn broiler off and leave in oven for another 5 minutes (optional but will ensure fish is cooked all the way through.
Remove from oven and serve.

Since my broiler is on the bottom of the stove and seldom used i.e. I would have had to clean it before using it. . . I did this in my oven at 475 degrees with the oven rack placed as high as it would go.

I also mixed the dill, garlic powder and pepper into the mayo and cheese mix. It took slightly longer to cook (about 10 minutes in my oven) but still came out just fine.

Note: Instead of mayonnaise you could substitute plain yogurt.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts