Scones

This is one of my favorite scone recipes from an older Betty Crocker Cookbook. Miss S. wanted to make them this morning. (She taking cooking in Teen Living in Middle School and is really liking it, as am I.) Before kneading she mentioned that she'd put in a bit more salt than the recipe says. . a whole tsp. I had her taste it and she learned that too much salt is not a good idea. She's trying again and carefully watching her measurements.

Scones

1/3 cup margarine or butter. (I had her use 1/2 cup.)
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbs. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder (this is the big reason you don't need much salt.)
1/2 tsp. salt (I told her to cut the salt to 1/4 tsp.)

1 egg beaten
1/2 cup currants or raisins (today we used mini chocolate chips instead.)
4 to 6 Tbsp. half and half (you can use milk or heavy cream. I've also used coffee creamer. You'll also probably need a bit more than the recipe says in order to get the dough to really form.)

1 egg beaten to brush on the tops of the scones before baking.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
In medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking power and salt.
Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Stir beaten egg, currants/raisins or chocolate chips and just enough half and half so the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
Turn dough on lightly floured surface.
Knead lightly 10 times.
Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick, cut into 2 inch circles or form one large circle and cut in wedges like you would a pie.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet and brush with the second beaten egg.
Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Immediately remove from cookie sheet, cool (at least slightly.)
I love to serve warm with butter or jam.

This basis recipe handles variations well. I've made lemon poppy seed scones and blue berry scones by changing my "add ins". For the lemon, I omitted raisins etc. and added a bit of lemon juice and lemon zest and poppy seeds to taste. You could also used dried cranberries and walnuts. . .or . . .

Miss. S.'s second batch is going well and with only a bit of guidance from me. I love to bake so I try and give her some space without my hovering. She's cleaning up the kitchen now. I think I'll like having another baker in the house.

Comments

Popular Posts