Balsamic Chicken

This recipe is from The South Beach Diet Book by Arthur Agatston, M.D. Since we've begun watching calories and carb intake yesterday, we were pleasantly surprised by how tasty this recipe was. Instead of following the recipe, I combined the ingredients minus the water and used about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil instead of 2 as the marinade. I left it marinade overnight and Andy grilled the chicken on the barbecue instead of using the oven. . . less clean up and easier for me. The recipe below is how it appears in the cookbook plus my notes.

Balsamic Chicken

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves or 1/2 tsp. dried (I didn't have rosemary so I used thyme instead.)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4-6 Tbsp. white wine, optional
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar.

I combined all the ingredients except the chicken and used 1 Tbs. olive oil instead of two as a marinade. I poured it over the chicken and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. Later, I actually read the recipe and discovered that I'd "jumped the gun". Hey, it was easier and still tasted great.

Rinse and pat chicken dry.
Combine rosemary, garlic, pepper and salt, in a small bowl. Mix well
Place chicken in large bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil and rub with the spice mixture.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Spray a roasting pan or iron skillet with cooking spray (I hate cooking spray so I would use a bit of olive oil.
Place chicken in pan and bake for 10 minutes.
Turn the chicken over. If the drippings begin to stick to the pan, stir in 3-4 Tbsp. water or white wine.
Bake about 10 minutes or until chicken in thickest part registers 160 degrees. F. and the juices run clear.
If the pan is dry stir in another 1-2 Tbsp. water or wine to loosen the drippings.
Drizzle the vinegar over the chicken in the pan.
Transfer chicken to plates. Stir the pan juices and drizzle over chicken to serve.

Comments

Popular Posts