Lentil Soup with Spinach and Tortellini

I made this in the slow cooker after having my wisdom tooth out. My lentil-hater didn't like it but I did.

Lentil Soup with Spinach and Tortellini

1/2 cup dry lentils
2 cups coarsely shredded carrots
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 oz. chopped cooked ham. . . (I used some leftover bacon)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp snipped fresh basil or 2 tsp. dry basil
1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh thyme or 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1 -- 9 oz. pkg. cheese-filled tortellini
4 cups fresh torn spinach

Rinse lentils, drain and place in 3 1/2 to 5 qt. slow cooker.
Add carrots, onion, ham, garlic, basil (dry), thyme (dry) and pepper. (I sauted the onion, carrot, garlic and ham/bacon before putting in the slow cooker.)
Pour broth over all.
Cover and Cook on low for 6 1/2 to 7 hours or on high for 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 hours.
(It took a bit longer for the carrots and lentil to cook for me.)
Stir in tortellini and cook for another 30 minutes.
Before serving stir in spinach and herbs if using fresh

You could also make a vegetarian version very easily.

Comments

  1. This was delish but mine was minus the spinach as I had none on hand. We had this New Year's Day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts