Sunday Gravy

This marinara sauce recipe was taken from The Soprano's Family Cookbook.
We really love the flavor and the wonderful aroma that fills the house whenever I make it. It makes a big batch and I always have plenty for leftovers and plenty to freeze for a future meal.

Sunday Gravy

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. pork neck bones or spareribs. (I use pork riblets.)
1 lb. veal stew meat or veal shoulder chops (I skipped these when I make the sauce.)
1 lb. Italian style sausages (I usually use the hot Italian sausages/brats for the extra kick.)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup tomato past
3 -- 28 to 35 oz. can Italian peeled tomatoes
2 cups water
salt and freshly ground pepper
6 fresh basil leaves torn into small pieces.

(I also add a large onion diced and green and/or red peppers cut and diced into small pieces. I saute them in the pot after I've browned all the meat until onion is slightly translucent.)

To make the sauce, heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
Pat the pork riblets dry and put the pieces in the pot.
Cook, turning occasionally until nicely browned on all sides.
Transfer the pork to a plate and brown the veal in the same way and add it to the plate.
Place sausages in the pot and brown all all sides. (I cook the sausages until they are done.)
Set the sausages aside with the pork.
Drain off most of the fat from the pot.
Add garlic and cook for one minutes (I add onion and cut up green/red peppers before add garlic. Original recipe cooks garlic for about 2 minutes until golden and then discards. I cook it less and leave it in with good results.)
Stir in the tomato paste.
With a food mill or food processor puree the tomatoes with their juice and add to pot
(Or for a chunkier sauce just chop up the tomatoes or use diced tomatoes.)
Add water, salt and pepper to taste.
Add the meat back into the sauce.
Bring the sauce to a simmer.
Partially cover the pot and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 2 hours. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little more water.

I wait until the end before I add the basil leaves if at all. You can add them where you wish. If I don't use hot Italian sausages in the sauce, I will add about 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes.

Original recipe is followed by a recipe for meat balls but with all the meat in the sauce and such a large quantity, I never had the need to make meat balls as well.

Comments

Popular Posts