Pear Cobbler with Cranberry Streusel Topping

This recipe is from an ad for Ocean Spray Cranberries that ran in the most recent Taste of Home magazine. I altered it slightly for our benefit.

4 Barlett Pears (I used 6 to 7 pears.)
2 Tsp. Vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Streusel Topping
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (I used 1/3 cup butter.)
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used 1/3 cup brown sugar.)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries. (I used dried cranberries.)
I also added a handful of uncooked quick oats in the streusel.

1/2 cup whipping cream, beaten to soft peaks. (I used frozen whipped topping.)

Unsalted butter and sugar for the baking dish.

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Butter and sugar an 8" x 8" baking dish (I used 8" x 10" baking dish.)

Peel the pears and cut them in half through the stem end. Scoop out the cores.

Put the pear halves in a bowl.

Sprinkle the vanilla over the pears and toss.

Sprinkle the brown sugar, flour cinnamon and nutmeg over the pears and toss to coat.

Put the pears in the baking dish.

In another bowl, mash together the butter, brown sugar, flour and salt, with your hands for the topping.

Toss in the cranberries

Crumble the topping mixture over the pears in the baking dish.

Bake until the topping is crunchy and browned and the pears are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. (I baked it about 25 in our trusty toaster oven, standing for the big oven which has decided not to light since last Christmas. Curses on you Big Oven!)

Serve with whipped cream. Would also be great served with ice cream.

Comments

Popular Posts