The Tofu Experiment

I don't really like tofu because of it's texture and lack of flavor. I am determined to find a way to enjoy because of it's health benefits and it's low cost. Yesterday's Tofu Stir Fry wasn't bad. Next time I'll try adding a little chili paste in to punch up the flavor. In any case, even the way it is, I was able to finish my helping with out suffering.

Tofu Stir Fry

1-16 oz block extra firm tofu.
1 1/2 cut broccoli florets
3/4 cup red pepper, cut into strips
1 medium onion, roughly diced in 1 inch chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1/3 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sugar or sugar substitute
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. olive oil

Rinse the tofu under cool running water and squeeze the excess moisture out by placing the tofu into a colander or on several layers of paper towels. Place a sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper over the top of the tofu and gently weigh it down with a bowl or skillet and drain for at least 15 minutes. (I used a fairly flat strainer over a bowl to collect the moisture and must have had at least a cup of liquid.)

Cut tofu into bite-sized pieces.
Cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
In small bowl mix broth, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes and cornstarch. Set aside.
Place olive oil in large skillet and heat well over medium-high heat.
Add tofu, brocolli, red peppers and onion. Stir fry about 3 minutes. (I wished later that I would have really browned the tofu on high heat a little longer. Next time I'm going to sear tofu first and then add vegetables.)
Add garlic and ginger and stir fry for another minute or two.
Stir in broth mixture, bring to boil, reduce heat and continue cooking another 1-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp.

Both of my children will eat tofu which is amazing since my son is so finicky. I really need to keep experimenting until I learn to fix it and like it.

Tags: tofu, vegetarian, stir fry, main dish, meatless,

Comments

  1. Hi Carol! I love your recipes and comments :)
    I've visited A Year of Slow Cooking and subscribed to her feed. Love it!
    Also, I checked out your profile and we both love the Johnny Depp movie Don Juan DeMarco <3 LOL
    I had not seen one of your favorite movies...Drop Dead Gorgeous so I went on Netflix to check it out and it sounds GREAT so it's next on my DVD list.
    Thanks for being a friend and doing such a great job with your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts