Easy Chai Tea Recipe

Yesterday was a day full of experimentation. I love chai tea but don't love the prices of the store-bought mixes. A library book by Diana Rosen on Chai gave me this new and very easy recipe. The original recipe is credited to a frequent traveler to India, Sally Champe.

1-- 14 oz. can unsweetened condensed milk (low fat or non-fat if desired.) I couldn't find unsweentened condensed milk so I used evaporated milk. I needed to add some sweetener for my taste. Next time I might try sweetened condensed milk.

1/2 tsp. ground cardamon (This is very expensive if purchased in a jar $14.99 at our Fred Meyer's. I purchased a small amount in the bulk spice section of the store for $.69 cents.)

1/4 tsp. ground allspice

1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/8 tsp. ground black pepper.

Pour the entire can of milk into a clean, dry jar.
Add all the spices and cover tightly with a lid.
Place in refrigerator. The longer it's refrigerated, the more the spices steep.
To use, stir the mix (I shake it well.) and use 2 to 3 Tbsp. directly into a strong cup of very hot black tea. (I purchased a small amount of Assam tea, an Indian tea that is recommended. I'll experiment soon with other teas.)

Tags: Chai, tea, beverages

Comments

Popular Posts