Menu Planning and More

Having a Plan

Several months ago, I had intended to start a web site that would offer weekly menu plans.  It wasn't as easy as I expected and have run into a couple of hiccups.  While my goal is to create said web site,until then I thought that I might share info on menu planning and let you know how I do it.  On Sunday, I'll post my menu plan for the week.

I don't plan for more than a week at a time.  It's easier and less time consuming planning for a week than it is for two weeks or for a month.    I've tried planning for two weeks and even a whole month but I'll come back to a week at a time, every time.

There are days when I end up making something other than what was on the plan.  It's important to be flexible.  I always have something quick in the freezer or pantry that I can toss together if necessary.  Most of the time, I do follow my menu plan for the week ahead.  It helps me remember what to defrost or prepare the night before and I can also plan easier meals for evenings that follow a busy day.

There are a lot of ways to menu plan using the computer and the many calendars that are out there.  Simple Mom has a good article on how one woman plans her meals.  simplemom.how-to-menu-plan  I still like the old fashioned notepad on which I hand write the upcoming menu.  I've been able to find great pads at the Dollar Store and the dollar bin at our local JoAnns.  There are also a lot of templates already out there.  Do a search for menu planning templates and you're sure to find one that works for you.

I also list the kid's kitchen chore rotation and any appointments, etc.  for the week ahead on this same calendar.  I need all the reminders I can get.  

So here's what's ahead  for the Sturgeon family dinners the week of May 24 through May 30.

Monday--Ring Sausage and Sweet Dill Sauerkraut--- Yes, the German in me still loves this.  My kids don't so they'll probably have left overs from the weekend.
Tuesday -- Slow Cooker Chili
Wednesday-- Breakfast Dinner.  (Every Wednesday is breakfast dinner and my husband is usually the cook.)
Thursday --Taco's
Friday -- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Saturday-- Leftovers
Sunday -- Smoked Ham and Scalloped Potatoes.

Some months, I keep Tuesday's Taco night.  I saw a great article in Sunset Magazine some years ago about Taco Tuesday.   A mom started Taco Tuesdays to get her four children to play together.  Eventually, she was making Taco's for 50.  Here's the link:http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/entertaining/taco-tuesday-00400000015354/

Thanks for reading.  Bon appetite!

Comments

Popular Posts